As Malta’s leading cultural institution, the Malta Philharmonic Orchestra plays an important and highly active role in representing Malta abroad.
Since first venturing across the seas in 2001, the MPO is proud to represent Maltese art and culture on the world stage, performing in 11 countries across 3 continents in the last 17 years.
The orchestra currently performs abroad at least once a year. At the end of 2018 the musicians are looking forward to the orchestra’s first tour to the USA, followed by concerts in Russia. On this exciting journey, they will perform concerts in 5 leading concert halls including Carnegie Hall – New York, and the Mariinsky Theatre – St Petersburg. This tour is supported by the European Foundation for the Support of Culture.
The MPO was honoured to perform at Palais des Beaux Arts, Brussel with Maltese Tenor Joseph Calleja for the opening concert of the European Union Presidency in January 2017.
Further highlights of the MPO’s tours and concerts around the globe include:
- Co-production of Bernstein’s Opera Candide in Rome in 2003
- Representing Malta at the 2008 Expo in Zaragoza, Spain
- Touring some of China’s most impressive new concert halls in 2014/2015
- Performing contemporary Maltese composer Karl Fiorini’s 2nd Symphony at the 2015 Expo in Milan
- A 2016 performance of Beethoven’s Missa Solemnis with the choir of the Accademia di Santa Cecilia in Rome, Italy.
- Touring Germany and Austria in 2018 performing in some of the world’s most magnificent concert halls including, the Berliner Philharmonie and the Musikverein, Vienna. Concerts on this tour were recorded for broadcast on Mezzo TV.