The MPO presently requires three rank-and-file violinists on a contract for service for a 7-month period starting on the 1st of January, 2019.
The violinists will be paid €1,530.75 per month, amounting to a total of €10,714.25 over the contract’s term.
As freelance musicians, the successful candidates will be responsible for any applicable tax and social security contributions. Assistance to complete taxation forms will be provided by the MPO, if required.
Auditions will take place on 16-17 November, and will be based on the following works:
1st round: 1st movement with cadenza of one of the following concertos by Mozart
- Violin Concerto No. 3 in G major, K. 216
- Violin Concerto No. 4 in D major, K. 218
- Violin Concerto No. 5 in A major, K. 216
2nd round: excerpts from the following orchestral works:
- Bartók – Concerto for Orchestra (1st mvt, bars 76-135)
- Beethoven – Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 (3rd mvt, bars 99-114)
- Mozart – Symphony No. 35 in D major, K. 385 (1st mvt, bars 1-60)
- Schumann – Symphony No. 2 in C major, Op. 61 (Scherzo, bars 1-97)
- Berlioz – Symphonie Fantastique, Op. 14 (from reh 1-2 & reh 17-19)
- Mozart – Symphony No. 39 in E♭ major, K. 543 (Finale, bars 1-78)
- Mendelssohn – Overture in E major (A Midsummer’s Night Dream), Op. 21 (beginning to “A”)
- Prokofiev – Symphony No. 1 “Classical,” Op. 25 (1st mvt, beginning to reh 12 & 4th movement, beginning to reh 56)
- R. Strauss – Don Juan, Op. 20 (beginning to 9 bars before “D”)
The relevant scores can be downloaded here.
Professional musicians interested in these positions are invited to send a completed application form, including a detailed curriculum vitae and copies of relevant qualifications, by not later than Monday, 15 October, by email to email@example.com, with “Violin audition application” in the subject.
All applications will be acknowledged and treated in strict confidence.